Location: Scarritt Bennett Center
8:00am-9:00am: Registration and Breakfast Networking
9:00am-9:10am: Welcome to We Rise: Women’s Day on the Hill 2023
- Organizational Welcome – NPWCTN President Deidre Malone
- Welcome to Nashville – Metro Nashville Councilwoman-at-Large Zulfat Suara
9:10am – 10:00am: Elect Black Women PAC’s Folding Chair Sessions
- Pull up a chair with Elect Black Women PAC (EBWPAC) for the Folding Chair Sessions, a panel series that highlights Black women who are changing the political landscape by bringing a folding chair to the table. We are proud to host statewide community leaders from every level of government from Congressional candidates to the school board.
- House Minority Leader Karen Camper
- Odessa Kelly – Candidate for Congressional district 7 and co-founder of Stand Up Nashville
- Chattanooga Councilwoman Demetrus Coonrod
- Civil Miller Watkins – Vice-Chair of the Board of Education for Fayette County Public Schools & previous Fayette County School Board member.
10:00am –10:45 am: Points of Influence
- State government 101 – Brenda Gadd will lead us through State Government 101 — an educational session that covers how a bill moves through the chambers, bill tracking, and how to be an effective legislative advocate.
- Advocacy 101 – Joanna Theolene from the Women’s Fund of Greater Chattanooga will lead us through Advocacy 101 — an educational session that covers non-legislative advocacy systems to give us a thorough understanding of how we can plug in to advocate for women.
10:45am –11:00 am: Break
11:00am-12:00pm: Breakout Sessions
- Reproductive Justice and Human Rights Advocacy
- We are Women – Advocacy around violence against women
- Reshaping the Narrative Around Public Safety
- Empowering Women in Politics – Campaign training session
11:00am-12:00pm: Networking Lunch (Lunch will be in between track sessions)
12:00pm – 1:00pm: Keynote Speaker: Ash-Lee Woodard Henderson
- We are honored to host Ash-Lee Woodard Henderson as our keynote speaker. Ash-Lee, the first Black woman to hold the title of Executive Director at the Highlander Research and Education Center, is the former regional organizer at Project South, an active participant on the governance council of the Southern Movement Assembly, and an organizer with Concerned Citizens for Justice (Chattanooga, TN)
1:00pm: Transport to State Capitol – *Note: Attendees are responsible for their own transportation to and from the state capitol; however, there will be ride sharing opportunities with other attendees.
Location: State Capitol
1:30pm – 4:00pm: Advocacy Track Meetings with Legislators & Committee Attendance
3:00pm – 4:00pm: Optional Capitol Tour
4:00pm: Photo Opportunity and Adjournment
The National Women’s Political Caucus of Middle Tennessee (MidTNWPC)
Event Chair & Caucus President: Jennifer Watson, PhD
Phone: (256) 483-0475
Schedule a Meeting: Calendly
Content Copyright © National Women’s Political Caucus of Middle Tennessee, 2023
Theme Copyright © Xidea Themes, 2023